Treatment day, new surgery date . . .

30 Mar

Hello all,

Today is another Herceptin treatment. Today will mark 51 treatments, with one more to go . . . assuming all is well and assuming correct record keeping. Mostly, assuming all is well health wise . . . please say prayers for me on this.

I have been feeling pretty good, especially the past few days. I know this is partly the weather – which has been fabulous – and it is also because I always feel best when I am furthest out from a treatment.

I have a new surgery date – May 11th. This is the reconstructive surgery. If you have read earlier posts, you will know I was previously scheduled to have surgery yesterday. But, I decided to postpone the surgery a little bit to allow time to get physically stronger. I think the date is good – not too far from now, but, not to soon either. I had hoped to have the surgery at the end of April. But, May 11, it is.

Hopefully it will allow me to get back to work in time for my busy season. But, who knows. I can’t rely on that or put pressure on myself to be ready to get back to work in time. The main thing is being well, getting well.

In the meantime, maybe I can finish a book that I am working and get that out there prior to my surgery. That would be really good. We’ll see.

Please keep prayers coming my way. It is greatly appreciated.

Love and peace,

Lisa

6 Responses to “Treatment day, new surgery date . . .”

1. Sandy March 30, 2010 at 11:24 AM #

Lisa,

It was so good to see you last night! You really are looking fabulous: your color is good, your hair is thick and healthy, your weight looks good, your eyes are bright… I’m smiling just remembering how far you’ve come!

Love,
    Sandy

2. cancerfree2b March 31, 2010 at 1:12 PM #

It was great seeing you also. Maybe if I look healthy I am healthy? I hope so 🙂

I had an interesting encounter with Dawn yesterday (you know, my nurse at the facility where I get my infusions). I was told I would get this chart that detailed all of my treatments and doses for the past year. And, instead, she hand wrote out a list of dates, numbered each and said that was the record of my treatment. Unbelievable.

Now, the whole point of all of this is to intentionally delay – there is a statute that will run soon and they are trying to keep me from having my medical records. It is clear to me now that this is what they are trying to do.

I was lead to believe I would get the records yesterday. I was told it would be “so much to fax” and “wouldn’t it be easier if they just handed the records to me in person the next time I came in” etc. So, now I get it.

I am pretty livid about it. I still have time to preserve the statute if I want to, but, it will require my doing it in pro per initially as there is no lawyer that will do this without the medical records. The way they are treating me makes me more inclined to do just that. The trouble is proving damages – there is no way to determine this and emotional damages are not likely to be enough for anyone to bother going after. This is all thanks to “tort reform”.

I spoke with a law firm a few weeks ago and the woman interviewing me to learn about my case said that if I had died, well, then there would really be a case . . . can you believe she said that to me? (This was in reference to the anaphylactic shock that was caused by my doc’s negligence . . . you know, the day they nearly killed me).

Anyway, I just want to spend all of my energy on getting well. I am not looking for a second battle. But, they are making it so incredibly difficult. I am entitled to my medical records. My oncologist needs my medical records so that I can get the right treatment. Yet, they (you know who) has failed to provide these records. All they have passed along is a recently created chart of the treatments that I have had to date and nothing else.

So, the fun begins. I have put in a more formal request. But, I do not know how long it is going to take for them to comply. I see my oncologist next week at UCLA and I want to have my records in advance of that so that I can review it all before I meet with her. And, of course, so I can provide her with a copy.

This is so ridiculous, isn’t it?

3. Sandy March 31, 2010 at 8:58 PM #

Lisa,

Since it’s clear they are stalling, you have a good case for tolling the statute of limitations if you need to – do don’t panic. You have countless attorneys among your former students. I’m confident one of them would be willing to take your case. (If I had an active license, I’d do it.) If you need me to call around for you, or anything else you can think of, let me know.

Love,
    Sandy

• cancerfree2b March 31, 2010 at 10:03 PM #

Yes, I probably could overcome the statute, but, I sure wouldn’t want to have to go that route. All I want is to get through this thing and quite frankly, a law suit is not something that interests me too much – except for the purpose of making sure that what happened to me doesn’t happen to anyone else. They have already changed some of their practices – for the better. And, sometimes just the threat of being sued can make a business (and that is, after all, what this is – a business) behave differently. So, we shall see.

I need my records now for my treatment. I was assured that I would have all of my records by Monday. I am not happy about having to wait even that much longer. But, as long as I actually get all of my records, then it is fine.

Thank you for your offer of help, I will keep you informed.

Love,
      Lisa

4. Sally April 2, 2010 at 6:38 PM #

Hi, Lisa,
    It’s so good to hear from your friends that you look so great. Yeah, Lisa! You have had, and still have, so much on your plate to deal with and to consider, it’s no wonder you don’t always feel that great.
    Love and prayers,
    and happy Easter, too.
    Sally

• cancerfree2b April 3, 2010 at 5:29 PM #

Hi Aunt Sally,

Thank you for your message and especially your continued prayers. I am feeling so much better right now. I hope it lasts 🙂 It is definitely encouraging. Mom and Dad and I will be going to Paul and Marcella’s tomorrow for Easter. It will be fun, I am looking forward to it. Can’t wait to grab that nephew of mine. Unfortunately, Steve and his kids won’t be able to make it up. But, I am sure we will see them soon.

I am definitely feeling better right now. Quite a comparison to last Easter (also at Paul’s) – I was on the couch most of the time – recovering from my first chemo treatment. This year I feel much, much better. I will post pictures from tomorrow.

I hope you have a wonderful, happy Easter.

Much love,